You can find it on all old post cards. It is undoubtedly the main feature of le Lavandou. « Le Château » as we call it here, proudly sits on the Quai Gabriel Péri, facing the sea just like the fishermen houses which make today the heart of le Lavandou as it was in the past.
Sieur Honnoraty got his propriety erected at a few metres from the sea. The architecture looks like that of the edge of the « Lac de Garde ». The stones come from Tourris and some of the walls are more than 80 cm large. Its building ended in 1881 and took 40 years!
Great traveller, fond of le Lavandou, this apothecary and herbalist from Toulon often sailed from le Lavandou to Port-Cros island in order to find some medical plants. We owe him the acclimation of the Sharon fruit in France.
In those days, the sea reached the castle and some old people in le Lavandou remember bathing in its ground-floor room.
François de Paule : one of the local beliefs claims that in 1482, the Calabrian monk, François de Paule, famous for his miracles, was urged by the French king Louis XI, seriously ill, to come and join him. As he could not land in Marseille, which was devastated by the plague, François de Paule made a U-turn and landed in le Lavandou.
There, at a few metres of the castle, on a rock almost in the sea, stood his footprint and the print of his pilgrim stick. Five centuries later, the legend of Saint-François de Paule who delivered our coasts from the plague is still vivid.